The evidence, whatever it is, is strong enough that Dave Rosenberger and Kerik
Cox are recommending that growers not use captan in sprays at petal fall and
first cover. From their article in Scaffolds (my bold):

"We are suggesting for the first time this year that apple growers avoid captan
in their petal fall and first cover sprays. Growers who choose to follow this
suggestion will need to avoid any prebloom applications of mancozeb or Polyram
that exceed 3.2 lb/A, because mancozeb will be needed as a contact fungicide in
the petal fall and first cover sprays. If mancozeb is applied at more than 3.2
lb/A in any spray, then the label does not allow for any use of mancozeb after
bloom.

"Our suggestion for avoiding captan in petal fall and first cover sprays is
based on the increasing complexity of tank mixtures applied at those timings.
Tank mixes at petal fall frequently include one or two plant growth regulators,
two or three fungicides, one or two insecticides, foliar nutrients, pH buffers,
water conditioners and/or spreader-stickers, and perhaps streptomycin for
controlling fire blight on late flowers. These complex mixtures increase the
likelihood that something in the mixture will enable the transport of captan
across the cuticle into plant cells where it will cause leaf injury and/ or
fruit russeting. The potential for injury from captan in complex tank mixtures
is especially high if the weather between late bloom and first cover is cool,
overcast, and wet. We observed or received numerous accounts of fruit and
foliar damage throughout the northeastern U.S. in 2013, but the frequency of
damage from captan has gradually been increasing over the past decade.
Therefore, in the interests of minimizing risks of crop damage, we believe it
would be wise to avoid captan in the petal fall and first cover sprays when
tank mixes are complex and fruit are most vulnerable to damage.”

---
Daniel R. Cooley, Professor of Plant Pathology
Stockbridge School of Agriculture
Fernald Hall 103
University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003

Office: 413-577-3803  |  FAX 413-545-2115

http://people.umass.edu/dcooley