Bill,

Good point re GM hybridizing being faster than traditional methods. I hadn't thought about that important difference. I assume the scientists still have to do observation trials for a few years after selecting the potential hybrids. I'm wondering what the turn around time is for GM trials compared to "decades" for conventional hybridizing?

Your idea of identifying an apple variety that already has the gene that imparts the trait that is wanted and then using conventional hybridizing to develop a new cultivar from that makes good sense.

FYI An interesting piece of history from here in NB that is relevant to this topic. Francis Peabody Sharp of Woodstock, NB was doing true scientific hybridizing in the 1850s and he sped up his trials by cutting off the tips of the hybridized seedlings/whips and grafting them onto mature, bearing trees. One mature tree might have a dozen or more trial hybrids grafted onto it. The resulting hybrids when grafted onto a mature tree would bear their first apples in 3 to 4 years rather than waiting for the experimental seedlings to grow to bearing age (6 to 10 years). Is that also being done today in experimental stations? It's an area of horticulture I'm not very familiar with.

Daryl Hunter