From: apple-crop-boun...@virtualorchard.net
[mailto:apple-crop-boun...@virtualorchard.net] On Behalf Of David Doud
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2015 11:28 AM
To: Apple-Crop
Subject: [apple-crop] Arctic Apples again -

Sorry to beat this, but I think it's in our interest to stay informed - if
the powers that be want me to give it a rest, I will -

I copy and paste an email that went out to subscribers to Well.org - it was
forwarded to me - I am unfamiliar with this organization and a peek at their
website doesn't impress and the website itself doesn't have any content
about Arctic Apples -

I've been made aware of at least one other organization promoting
anti-Arctic Apple sentiment -
http://www.foe.org/projects/food-and-technology/genetic-engineering/no-gmo-a
pples

I investigated the claim that "McDonald's and Gerber..." and it's not as
presented - they have 'no plans' because there is no product available to
buy, but they have not rejected and Gerber specifically admits and defends
using GMO products -

Looks like battle lines are being drawn and strategies arctic-ulated -

David Doud
peach leaf curl spray this week -
2012 on this date was apple full bloom - not at silver tip yet this year,
but soon -

You're hearing from us because you subscribed via
<http://vitaloriginswellorgllc.cmail2.com/t/t-l-thbijk-illrihdyd-j/>
Well.org. Last year, we released the Origins documentary for free to over
700,000 people across the world. If you want to unsubscribe,
<http://vitaloriginswellorgllc.cmail2.com/t/t-u-thbijk-illrihdyd-q/> click
here.

Well.org

On Friday the 13th, the USDA approved the unnecessary, unlabeled, and poorly
tested GMO apple. It was an unlucky day indeed for the apple growers, food
companies, and people like us who want to protect our families from GMO
foods.

But it's not all bad news. Thanks to pressure from thousands of people like
you, McDonald's and Gerber -- two of the biggest purchasers of apples --
have already confirmed that they have no plans to sell GMO apples. Their
commitments will help keep this risky product off the market.

Now, we need to get other fast food companies to join them. If we can get
the top 10 fast food companies, including Burger King, Wendy's, Subway and
Dunkin' Donuts, to commit to not sell the GMO apple, we may be able to
prevent it from ending up on our plates!

 <http://vitaloriginswellorgllc.cmail2.com/t/t-l-thbijk-illrihdyd-t/> Tell
these fast food restaurants to say NO to GMO apples!

The apple in question - known as the "Arctic AppleR" -- was designed for
purely cosmetic purposes. It was genetically engineered to not turn brown
when cut. Of course, browning in apples can be prevented naturally by
applying lemon juice or another source of vitamin C -- making this risky
apple completely unnecessary.

What's more, without natural browning, apples may look fresh when they are
actually decaying. In fact, scientists believe apples' natural browning
enzyme may help fight diseases and pests.

In other words, if farmers grow these new apples, they may have to increase
their pesticide use. And since they won't be labeled, we won't even know if
the apples we're buying are pesticide-doused GMOs!

The evidence is clear: this experiment is all risk, no reward.  Fast food
restaurants have no excuse -- they must say NO to GMO apples!

 <http://vitaloriginswellorgllc.cmail2.com/t/t-l-thbijk-illrihdyd-i/> Tell
fast food companies that their customers don't want GMO apples!

Like other GMOs, this apple won't be labeled and didn't undergo independent
safety testing -- the USDA relied on the company's own assessment that it is
safe for human consumption. Worse yet, this GMO apple was genetically
engineered via a new, virtually untested experimental technique called RNA
interference -- which many scientists are concerned may have unintended
negative impacts on human health and the environment.

So who stands to benefit from the GMO apple? Not consumers. Definitely not
apple growers, who have been opposing this apple all along. The only
benefits will go to Okanagan Specialty Fruit -- the biotech company that
produces the Arctic AppleR.

Now that the USDA has approved the apple, it could end up in everything from
school lunches to fast food, kids' meals and grocery produce aisles. The
risks to our health, our environment and apple farmers across the U.S. could
be enormous.

Fast food restaurants are increasingly trying to provide healthier options
and are among the biggest potential buyers of these GMO apples -- so if we
can stop them from buying the Arctic AppleR, we can send a strong signal
that there is no market for it.

 <http://vitaloriginswellorgllc.cmail2.com/t/t-l-thbijk-illrihdyd-d/> It's
not too late to keep GMO apples off our plates -- tell fast food restaurants
to say no to this rotten idea.

Sincerely,

Pedram Shojai, OMD

 <http://vitaloriginswellorgllc.cmail2.com/t/t-l-thbijk-illrihdyd-h/>
<http://vitaloriginswellorgllc.cmail2.com/t/t-u-thbijk-illrihdyd-r/>
 <http://vitaloriginswellorgllc.cmail2.com/t/t-l-thbijk-illrihdyd-k/>
<http://vitaloriginswellorgllc.cmail2.com/t/t-l-thbijk-illrihdyd-u/> Youtube
<http://vitaloriginswellorgllc.cmail2.com/t/t-l-thbijk-illrihdyd-o/>
Facebook
<http://vitaloriginswellorgllc.cmail2.com/t/t-l-thbijk-illrihdyd-b/> Twitter
<http://vitaloriginswellorgllc.cmail2.com/t/t-l-thbijk-illrihdyd-m/>
Instagram
<http://vitaloriginswellorgllc.cmail2.com/t/t-l-thbijk-illrihdyd-c/>
Pinterest
COPYRIGHT C 2015 VITAL ORIGINS, LLC/WELL.ORG. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THE
INFORMATION INWELL.ORG <http://WELL.ORG/>  IS FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY
AND SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. READERS ARE ADVISED TO
CONSULT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL ABOUT ANY ISSUE REGARDING THEIR HEALTH AND
WELL-BEING.

 <http://vitaloriginswellorgllc.cmail2.com/t/t-u-thbijk-illrihdyd-y/>
Unsubscribe   Vital Origins, LLC 13 Orchard #108 Lake Forest, CA 92630
United States