If you read the Kocide 3000 label, applying Kocide is in relation to protection
of plants from Pseudomonas infection -- this is the culprit for bacterial
canker.  Pseudomonas has ice nucleation proteins, which allow water to freeze
in the plant cell at a higher temperature thereby causing frost injury sooner.
When this injury occurs, the bacteria will feed on the nutrients released by
the injured plant tissue.  Major infection event then ensues...  Pseudomonas
LOVES this weather we are experiencing -- bacterial populations will be at
their highest now as a result.  This is why bacterial canker is often referred
to as the "cold weather disease."  IF you are experiencing bacterial canker in
your stone fruit, I'd follow the recommendation for applying Kocide because the
Kocide will knock back the bacteria, which is what causes the damage.  I
believe this is the frost protection they are talking about -- frost occurring
due to Psuedomonas being present causing the freezing at hi
 gher temps.

I don't believe Kocide will offer any other kind of frost protection and
**would caution** using it considering it may actually do more harm than good
(as far as the copper causing further damage to frozen tissue).

In relation to the comments below -- there are a lot of unanswered questions to
take into consideration:
Was it the same cultivar --could survival have been due to being at different
bud stages?
What was the elevation for the two sites?
History of bacterial canker?
And it most likely wasn't repeated...?

Kari Peter, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor - Tree Fruit Pathology
Department of Plant Pathology and Environmental Microbiology
Penn State Fruit Research and Extension Center
290 University Dr., P.O. Box 330
Biglerville, PA 17307-0330

Office: 717-677-6116 Ext. 223
Fax: 717-677-4112