Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
The long answer is I don't know what we broke yet.
http://people.apache.org/~pgollucci/v2_08_vs_v2_12.diff

Well, AFAIK, that diff (a subset) are the only possible things that
could have caused it. Lets see if I can figure it out before I fall asleep.
Experimentation shows that if one installs the 'fastdep' program, arranges to have aclocal and autoconf in one's path and then run './buildconf', it will generate working Makefiles, that will just work on OpenSolaris.

I also noticed that the automake used for 2.08 was 1.9.6 and the automake used for 2.12 was 1.6.3. 1.6.3 is, um, ancient. When I re-ran the autoconf with the 1.9.6 version
of autoconf, it works with just the regular "make" on OpenSolaris.

Perhaps just regenerating the Makefile.in contents with a newer autoconfigure would be enough to fix this
problem on other machines?

-Kurt