Thomas Mueller wrote:

> I have been able to read long-line e-newsletters from various about.com
> departments, and some of them go far past 256 characters.  I use
> Ctrl-RightArrow to move the cursor one word at a time rather than one
> character at a time.

-- I'd soon get frustrated with that for the 250kB digests I plough
   through. ViewHTML line-wraps the document... and also views HTML
   pages (doh!). A 71kB freeware download from:
   http://www.ozemail.com.au/~kevsol/sware.html#viewhtml

> Advantage of long lines is that they wrap according to the reader.
> Otherwise if the lines are longer than the reader's width, the lines may
> be broken into alternating long and short lines.  Some messages I receive
> have line lengths of 90 to 130 characters; difficult to see the rationale
> of that.  Some email readers use variable-width fonts, which confuses
> things.  Eric S. Emerson's truck or van, among other things, wouldn't line
> up right.

-- Your original line length requires the Constable's attention for my
   640 pixel width screen. I've edited it for this reply. In long mails
   I usually find my self-imposed line length elongating, but if you
   start off well within limits the problem shouldn't get out of hand.
   I don't usually use short lines for this List.

-- With webpages you can set the line length by using a table with cells
   of a specified pixel or percentage width. Choosing pixels gives greater
   control as long as the user doesn't use an extreme font size, or use a
   window narrower than 640 pix (with allowance for scrollbars). There's
   more I won't bore you with, but it boils down to making the page usable
   without any hassle for the user and making any tweaking that may be
   necessary simply achievable: no "Download Explorer5.5 for free HERE"!
   For ASCII art you could include a note: "You'll need to use a fixed
   width font e.g. Courier to appreciate this ASCII art." Have to
   realize that most users "outside" are new to the Net and need a bit
   of spoon-feeding. People will solve puzzles only if want to or have to.

These lines are of a self-imposed length that
many people automatically limit themselves to.

Regards,

Jake

             -- the World on a floppy --
-- Arachne V1.64, NON-COMMERCIAL copy, http://arachne.cz/