On 8/27/06, Ralph Corderoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Dmitry,
>
> > I am using the cvs versoin, compiled on 2.6.16 linux and whenever I
> > try to access a floppy, I have a message box "Disc error 09 at
> > :4/00000C00" and a lot of messges on the terminal:
>
> OK, the `:4' means drive 4 and RISC OS treats drives 0 to 3 as floppies,
> and 4 to 7 as hard drives.  How do you know it's a floppy you're
> accessing?  Are you in the Desktop?  If so, the icon would have `:0'
> under it for drive 0.  If you have a `*' command line prompt, which you
> get with F12 in the Desktop, then the command `cat :0' would catalogue
> drive 0 IIRC.  Type `help cat' for more.

ah, after playing around a bit, I found out that you can "increase the
number of floppies" in the Configure program. I thought that I
accessed a floppy when I clicked on this ":4" icon!

btw, the arcem 1.0 runs so fast on my machine that I cannot even type
anything on the command line prompt, i get "ccccccaaaaaaatttttttttt"
instead of "cat" :) This is resolved in the current cvs version
though.

> > Seek - cylinder address greater than configured (=0)
> > Read data command exiting due to failed file seek
> > Seek - cylinder address greater than configured (=0)
> > Read data command exiting due to failed file seek
> > Seek - cylinder address greater than configured (=5)
> > Seek - cylinder address greater than configured (=0)
> > Read data command exiting due to failed file seek
>
> This suggests the hard disc image file for drive 4 is a different size
> to what's configured in the arcemrc file.  See
> http://arcem.sourceforge.net/manual.html#HDimages  The error messages
> could do with a lot of improving.  The image file for RISC OS drive 4 is
> `HardImage0', confusingly, because it's the first hard drive.

In fact, I am using the blank hd image downloaded from arcem site (the
20mb one) and I have the following lines in acemrc

MFM disc
1 612 4 32 256

But I still get this error message ("Disc error 09 at :4/00000C00").

> > PS. I am no Acorn user, I am playing with the emulator to get ArcElite
> > running :)
>
> My Elite playing was on a BBC Master.  :-)

Well, to be honest I only played Elite on a ZX Spectrum, but I was
seduced by the rumor that ArcElite is the best Elite version ever :)

--
Dmitry Sustretov
-- PhD student at Langue et Dialogue, LORIA