On 15.03.2016 01:06, Allan McRae wrote:
On 14/03/16 09:07, Allan McRae wrote:
On 13/03/16 00:52, Sébastien Luttringer wrote:
Please note that as an ideal target, I would have all our kernel modules available via dkms _and_ via prebuilt modules for each kernel flavor we provide. I read on the dev IRC that few modules could only be shipped from
sources. Not sure of that btw.

For example, we could, for simplicity says that we provide pre-built modules
only for the main kernel and dkms for all others kernels.

What I would like is a team consensus/decision on how we handle kernel oot
modules not complains directed on virtualbox only.

I vote for binary modules for all kernels in [core] and dkms versions.
Kernels outside of [core] can have binary modules provided at the
maintainer's choice.

We are going to need more opinions here to build a consensus...

I agree. There is no point in having every user building the exact same module on every update. That's why we package precompiled packages. This looks more like a workaround of how kernel and module updates are handled atm. E.g. the kernel stays in testing for a long time and is not put into staging first so packagers can rebuild their modules.

Greetings,

Pierre