On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 9:44 PM, pants <pa...@cs.hmc.edu> wrote:
>> Did you try to put dvorak and ohsnap6x11r withing double quotes?
>> I have FONT="ter-v16b" set in /etc/vconsole.conf and works fine.
>
> I just tried that, to no avail.

This is a known problem, and I don't have a good general solution. The
problem is (I think), that your font is set before your graphics
driver has been loaded, and once the graphics driver has been loaded
the settings are lost.

Essentially what needs to happen is that
systemd-vconsole-setup.service must be run after the graphics driver
has been loaded.

Three ways to do this:

1) put your graphics driver in MODULES in mkinitcpio.conf.
2) put your graphics driver in /etc/modules-load.d/graphics.conf and
order systemd-vconsole-setup.service After
systemd-modules-load.service.
3) order systemd-vconsole-setup.service After and Wants
systemd-udev-settle.service.

Option 2) probably is the best as it has the least impact on boot
speed (I guess).

-t