On 1/18/07, Roman Kyrylych <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

2007/1/18, Michael Towers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Michel Di Croci wrote:
> > http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installing_ArchLinux_on_a_USB_key
> >
> > I will fill the missing section when I come back at home tonight.
> >
> > Michel
> >

> I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but I wonder about the
> effect on the lifetime of the usb key if it is used in this way. They
> support only a limited number of write cycles, and I guess running a
> normal linux system could be quite a challenge (though I have no
> concrete data on this).
>
> A system designed for a live CD would perhaps be more appropriate (as it
> is designed for a read-only medium)? You can also fit more stuff onto it
> than using the 'straight' method because it is compressed. Of course
> persistent writing is not quite as straightforward as with a 'straight'
> system, but that's the compromise.
>
> The last time I tested larch on a usb key it worked pretty well - it
> seemed pretty fast, too. I also have a media player running larch from
> compact flash card, and am quite happy with it.

Yes, using copy-on-write filesustem on USB is way better for its lifetime.

That's too bad! Really, I preferred my way since I have real partition on it
(can be viewed from my main computer).  And I don't like the idea that in
the long term, I would have to recreate and rewrite all the config all over
again on the larch system since there is no way to load "configs" at least,
that I'm aware of.

The update can't be done on the usb key since it might come and take all the
RAMs available and that you get "no more space" on the device so you cannot
keep you system up to date easily. Also, I forgot to unmount something on
larch and the usbkey start to be filled ... with things from the mounting
device I reached no more space pretty fast. Maybe I'm not too good with it
;)

But I know it's a good system!

Michel

--