joe henderson wrote:
> All,
>
> Is there a way to turn on gzips "larger file size" bit in the install?
>
> I have a few backup files that are 4+ GB.. I do not want to
> split the tars in multiple files to achieve this...
>

> Advise..
>
> Joe

?  Is this actually a restriction with gzipped archives?

I've been routinely making gzipped tarballs (which are currently
exceeding 4GB) after each of my daily backups in order to put an
additional copy on DVD, but haven't yet had need to unzip them.  I've
listed the contents (tar -tvzf) and that's seemed to work fine, but
never had to actually unzip the thing.  If this is an issue, I'd like to
know.

Anyone have any details on this limit?  There's nothing in the gzip man
page about it.

TIA,

DR