---- "Guillermo A. Amaral" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 January 2007 15:26:31 Derek Carlson wrote:
> > I am experiencing some weirdness booting while an external USB storage
> > device is attached.  As background (and only because I hope it will give
> > a clue as to the exact software set), I am currently running from a
> > system that was installed from the Beta 0.8, base ISO.
> >
> > If I leave my external 200GB hard drive, attached through USB cable,
> > connected during the boot process, I get a number of errors during the
> >
> > auto configuration process.  The log file reports this:
> >  >>> snip <<<
> >
> > Jan 24 06:48:44 slacker1 usb 3-7: new high speed USB device using
> > ehci_hcd and address 4
> > Jan 24 06:48:44 slacker1 usb 3-7: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> > Jan 24 06:48:44 slacker1 scsi5 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage
> > devices Jan 24 06:48:44 slacker1 usb-storage: device found at 4
> > Jan 24 06:48:44 slacker1 usb-storage: waiting for device to settle
> > before scanning
> > Jan 24 06:48:49 slacker1 usb 3-7: reset high speed USB device using
> > ehci_hcd and address 4
> > Jan 24 06:48:49 slacker1 usb 3-7: device firmware changed
> > Jan 24 06:48:49 slacker1 usb 3-7: USB disconnect, address 4
> > Jan 24 06:48:49 slacker1 usb-storage: device scan complete
> > Jan 24 06:48:49 slacker1 usb 3-7: new high speed USB device using
> > ehci_hcd and address 5
> > Jan 24 06:48:50 slacker1 usb 3-7: device descriptor read/64, error -71
> > Jan 24 06:48:56 slacker1 usb 3-7: device descriptor read/64, error -71
> > Jan 24 06:48:56 slacker1 usb 3-7: new high speed USB device using
> > ehci_hcd and address 6
> > Jan 24 06:48:57 slacker1 usb 3-7: device descriptor read/64, error -71
> > Jan 24 06:49:02 slacker1 usb 3-7: device descriptor read/64, error -71
> > Jan 24 06:49:02 slacker1 usb 3-7: new high speed USB device using
> > ehci_hcd and address 7
> > Jan 24 06:49:08 slacker1 usb 3-7: device not accepting address 7, error -71
> > Jan 24 06:49:08 slacker1 usb 3-7: new high speed USB device using
> > ehci_hcd and address 8
> > Jan 24 06:49:08 slacker1 usb 3-7: device not accepting address 8, error -71
> >
> >  >>> snip <<<
> >
> >  From there I can often times boot the system, but not necessarily or
> > always.  For example, one time my sound card was not discovered.  One
> > time I got a failure on a partition that was not being mounted and the
> > system halted.  Rebooting has solved these problems.
> >
> > If I can successfully boot and start gnome while the hard drive was
> > attached, the external drive will not show up as a mounted volume.
> > When I unplug and plug the external hard drive again, my USB mouse will
> > crap out, and only rebooting the computer will bring the mouse back again.
> >
> > If I leave *any* USB devices (flash drive for example) attached at boot
> > time, I'll get similar scenarios as above.
> >
> > If I remove all USB devices, save the mouse, the system will boot
> [...]
Hi Guillermo,

The drive is a MAXTOR 200GB external drive.  It's housed in a pretty heavy,
shielded case, and connects to the computer via a shielded USB cable.  The
cable seems longer than necessary, but there's a heavy braided shield that
would seem to protect it pretty well.

Those are some good ideas, and I will try them.  The thing that has me
perplexed is that the drive will be plugged in and recognized correctly by my
other Arch partition.   Something's different between them and I'm not sure if
it's a configuration issue (my bad) or new software issue.

Again, thx for the suggestions.  I'm open to ideas!

Kind regards,

dViking