I don't know if this is related, but now I see a NPE in the logs when using
"Update Database Now":

jvm 1    | 2007-11-29 14:16:03,340 [Thread-6] ERROR
org.codehaus.plexus.taskqueue.execution.TaskQueueExecutor:database-u
pdate  - Error executing task
jvm 1    |
edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException:
java.lang.NullPointerException
jvm 1    |      at
edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.getResult(FutureTask.java:299)
jvm 1    |      at
edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(FutureTask.java:118)
jvm 1    |      at
org.codehaus.plexus.taskqueue.execution.ThreadedTaskQueueExecutor$ExecutorRunnable.waitForTask(Thread
edTaskQueueExecutor.java:159)
jvm 1    |      at
org.codehaus.plexus.taskqueue.execution.ThreadedTaskQueueExecutor$ExecutorRunnable.run(ThreadedTaskQu
eueExecutor.java:127)
jvm 1    | Caused by:
jvm 1    | java.lang.NullPointerException
jvm 1    |      at
org.apache.maven.archiva.database.updater.ProcessArchivaArtifactClosure.execute(ProcessArchivaArtifac
tClosure.java:56)
jvm 1    |      at
org.apache.commons.collections.CollectionUtils.forAllDo(CollectionUtils.java:388)
jvm 1    |      at
org.apache.maven.archiva.database.updater.JdoDatabaseUpdater.updateProcessed(JdoDatabaseUpdater.java:
170)
jvm 1    |      at
org.apache.maven.archiva.database.updater.JdoDatabaseUpdater.updateAllProcessed(JdoDatabaseUpdater.ja
va:111)
jvm 1    |      at
org.apache.maven.archiva.scheduled.executors.ArchivaDatabaseUpdateTaskExecutor.executeTask(ArchivaDat
abaseUpdateTaskExecutor.java:78)
jvm 1    |      at
org.codehaus.plexus.taskqueue.execution.ThreadedTaskQueueExecutor$ExecutorRunnable$1.run(ThreadedTask
QueueExecutor.java:116)
jvm 1    |      at
edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:442)
jvm 1    |      at
edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:176)
jvm 1    |      at
edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.j
ava:665)
jvm 1    |      at
edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:
690)
jvm 1    |      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:801)