From: arie-l-boun...@mailman2.u.washington.edu
[arie-l-boun...@mailman2.u.washington.edu] On Behalf Of James Martin Cummings
[j.cum...@usciences.edu]
Sent: Friday, November 11, 2011 2:30 PM
To: arie-l@u.washington.edu
Subject: [ARIE-L] Open letter to Infotreive: Release Ariel as Open Source

From: James Martin Cummings
Sent: Friday, November 11, 2011 1:11 PM
To: Charles Myers
Cc: Michael J. Krasulski

I have been using Ariel to receive and send documents since I started in ILL in
2005. When I started, almost every document that I received came through Ariel
(though there was a higher proportion of FAXes and regular mail hardcopy
articles). In other words, Ariel had complete market dominance. That first year
3.4 was released and then an update. Since that time, there has been almost no
support for Ariel; there has been no software upgrade, there has been minimal
support from Infotreive. In 2006, when my school decided to go from hardcopy
delivery of articles received in Ariel to using the web server, there was no
support from Infotreive phone calls were never returned; to finally get it set
up we had to get help from another library.
The state of Ariel is woeful. Not a week (sometimes not a day) goes by without
an “we are dropping Ariel” announcement on the Ariel listserve. For five years,
you have ignored this product which was a central part of the resource sharing
technology. No one can get help. The software is never upgraded.
It is time to stop pretending that you will ever service Ariel. It is time to
release the source code for Ariel so that we users (or our programmer
co-workers) can upgrade and troubleshoot Ariel. I have had to learn to live
with not being able to rotate a page in a scanned document because Ariel will
likely crash and this means that I will completely lose the document (of course
now we just do it with Odyssey). I have had to live with entering every patron
I deliver to by hand because the address book import does not work (if you make
a typo in an email address there is no way to find out without the patron
complaining).
I invite the listserve to join me in this call.

Jim Cummings
Interlibrary Loan Borrowing Assistant
J. W. England Library
4200 Woodland Ave
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495
215-596-8969
215-596-8760 FAX
DOCline/OCLC: PAUPPS/PCP
Ariel: ariel.usp.edu
Odyssey: illiad.usp.edu
j.cum...@usciences.edu<mailto:j.cum...@usciences.edu> |
www.usciences.edu<http://www.usciences.edu/>
USciences: Where healthcare and science converge.