It seems that there are a number of schemes to create
currencies, on top of extant national currencies, that
will be accepted only locally.  Under such a program,
a unit of currency, let's call it a "Local", will be
created by a group in the community.  The currency may
have a more-or-less arbitrary value associated to
it--one group I've read about sets their equal in
value to ten dollars as well as one hour worth of
effort.  Presumably, then, if someone rakes your lawn
for one hour, you pay that person one Local, and that
person can exchange the Local for $10 worth of goods
or services from participating merchants or
individuals.

I am not sure how universal the dollar-pegging aspect
is.  For all I know, some schemes may the dollar-Local
exchange rate may be free to fluctuate.

I am very uncomfortable with such programs, although I
haven't been able to find any scholarly research on
them.  Apart from obvious complaints, such as
arbitrarily setting the wage rate too high causes
unemployment, or those who wish to keep their
transactions "local" could just do so anyway without
this extra layer of complication, why are such schemes
a bad thing?

Alternatively, why are they good?  Or, why are they neither?