I would suggest it's a self-enforcing cycle.  In the
past, the Academy has tended to award its Best Picture
/ Best Director cherries to movies released closer to
its decision-making time.  The studios, seeking Oscars
to add to their prestige, notice this, and release
more of what they consider their "prestige pictures"
around the end of the year.  The Academy awards more
of these pictures with Oscars, and the trend
continues.

-JP