"I don't think a point estimate is any way to gauge
something like "happiness with respect to time."  As
for surveys, from what I know of the experimental
literature, economists seem to put very little
credence in surveys aside from gathering rather
concrete data (e.g. demographics, independently
verifiable data)."

Aren't political surveys generally pretty close to the
results?

IIRC, market researchers have some fairly
sophisticated techniques for eliciting truthful info
from large groups.  I don't know much other than an
early example had to do w/ estimating drug use by
soldiers in Vietnam during the U.S.-Vietnam war.
Sorry.

BTW, how do we reply to the list now?  I keep making
new messages--can I just reply?  Thanks.