All this talk of the Laffer Curve seems to have skirted around one
fundamental issue which I think economics has still failed to address to
this very day. Namely, that time and time again, studies have shown that
once you reach a certain standard of living, "happiness" depends not so
much on absolute wealth as relative wealth. Furthermore, it seems that
we value wealth on a relative scale while we value leisure on an
absolute scale so a more competitive society can become less happy since
we all do more work for no relative increase in wages and receive less
leisure in return.

I'm not arguing for a return to communism but I would like to see at
least some economic modeling that reflects these findings.

Xianhang Zhang