From: John Perich [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2000 8:13 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Economics of Love

In a recent discussion I had (off-line), someone described the demand for
heroin (by heroin addicts) as perfectly inelastic.  I responded that that
was a bit off; if demand for heroin were perfectly inelastic, I would charge

$1 billion a hit, and inevitably find a buyer.  I offered, as a possible
alternative for a good with perfectly inelastic demand, love.

Then I thought - is the demand for love *perfectly inelastic* (meaning,
people desire one quantity, but at any price), or *perfectly elastic*
(meaning, people desire any quantity, but demand will be infinite below a
given price), or something else entirely?

Any ideas?

-JP