Alex Tabarrok wrote:

As a thought experiment, imagine you were on
> an NSF committe and were presented with a proposal to study the minimum
> wage by using a natural experiment, surveying fast food restaurants etc.
> - i.e. everything which Card and Kruger did.  I believe that just about
> everyone would have applauded the proposal as original, clever, and
> worthy of support.  Consistency requires that we not abandon this
> perspective when the conclusion turns out to be something we don't agree
> with (isn't changing priors the point of doing research?)

Isn't one of the most important parts of doing "quality" empirical work
the proper collection of data?  Hasn't it been  estabished that
the C-K failed this test miserably?

Also, the idea that C-K studied a "natural experiment" is by no means
uncontroversial in the profession.  I think there is a symposium on
Card-Krueger in  Industrial Relations and Labor Review (forget the year),
where Dan Hammermesh, among others, attacks the Card-Krueger study - he
explains why it cannot be viewed as being  either "natural" or an
"experiment."

Alex Robson
UC Irvine