Alex Tabarrok wrote:

>    Non-working women are likely to have husbands who earn more than the
> husbands of working women (all else equal) - this says the probability
> of a woman working increases with a *decrease* in *husband* income.  But
> the finding is that the probability of a woman working increases with an
> *increase* in the *sister's husband's* income.  Two different results.

It's hard to know how to interpret this result without knowing what
was actually estimated.  Ray's point is quite correct if the model
looks like

      y* = Xb + c*1(SH>H) + noise,

where y* is a latent variable governing employment, X contains whatever
else they controlled for aside from husbands' incomes, and SH and H are
sister's husband's income and own-husband's income respectively.  This
model confounds changes in H and SH -- we'd expect c to be very large
simply because 1(SH>H) is highly (negatively) correlated with with H.
If the model looks like,

      y* = Xb + dH + eSH + c*1(SH>H) + noise,

then a value of c implying an odds ratio of 16 to 25 is pretty startling.

Does anyone know the actual cite?

Chris Auld                          (403)220-4098
Economics, University of Calgary    <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Calgary, Alberta, Canada            <URL:http://jerry.ss.ucalgary.ca/>

  • women Alex Tabarrok
    • Chris Auld