>>Does anyone know of any studies examining how much firms benefit (if
any) from non-compete agreements?<<

    I don't know, but when I was a court stenographer in the Civil Trial
Division of the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas in Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania, I was surprised at a number of the suits which involved
relatively large businesses/corporations bringing action against single
ex-employees for breach of the noncompete clause in their contracts.   If
memory serves me well enough, the businesses always won -- but I remember
thinking, "How much could this guy have taken from them dollarwise to warrant
a suit like this?"   Unless it is to discourage like happening on a larger
scale.  But there were those suits, too -- and with the playing field leveled
a bit, the bigger the business employees went into or formed, the less likely
the contract clause was found to have been breached.

    I remind you, this is impression only.   But it might warrant a bit of
research into court transcripts or records and a more methodical comparison
of numbers and case outcomes.

Very truly,
Terri Maurer Carter
[EMAIL PROTECTED]