I believe that what most of these "studies" refer to is based on revealed
preferences: Given that jobs and homes are available that these people could
choose in order to move off of the streets, the fact that they still live on
the streets demonstrates their revealed preference for homelessness rather
than work and lodging. I do recall some past crude studies whereby homeless
people were taken off of the street and given housing, food, etc., at no
money cost to them. As part of this experiment, residents were required to
take care of the house, themselves, etc., for which they refused. Within a
very short period of time, most of them left to be back on the street.  I
also remember an anecdotal story about a homeless person who was being fed
daily by a local restaurant owner. One day the restaurateur requested that
the homeless person sweep the front sidewalk in exchange for his meal at
which point the homeless person exacted revenge by vandalizing the
restaurant. The "studies," and this anecdote, are both crude and
unscientific, accounting for mental illness is certainly a factor that
complicates any study claiming homelessness is voluntary.

I do, however, disagree with Mr. Dickens historical accounts. Indeed, in the
early 80s a federal judge barred St. Elizabeths Hospital--a mental institute
in Washington, DC, where, by the way, John Hinckley is detained--from
holding mental patients against their will. St. Es, as did other mental
institutes nationwide, immediately released any patient wishing to leave.
The media, artists, and other advocates against Reagan immediately portrayed
the rise in homelessness as being caused by Reagan's policies and proof of
his insensitivity towards poor people. If homelessness is on the rise, which
would not be surprising, you certainly never hear it being attributed to
Clinton's policies or proof of his insensitivity to poor people.

What has not been commented on is that all localities, save Houston, have
zoning restrictions barring multi-family sharing of single-family residences
(i.e., there can be no more than two or three people with different last
names living in the same single-family home -- the wording from a North
Carolina community zoning regulation). This prohibits for example, six
people pooling their resources to live in a two or three bedroom residence.

Mark Steckbeck