On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Bryan D Caplan wrote:

> Circle the globe.  The only civilization I can see that ever emerged
> around the equator was the Inca.  And their effective climate was not
> equatorial due to high elevation, as far as I understand.

Most of the equator crosses water, but if you expand the area to the
tropics, there were civilizations in India, Cambodia, Bali, Central
America, Zimbabwe, and elsewhere, with remains in stone today.

What is the source for the statement that the Aztecs had a lower standard
of living than the Spanish?

Fred Foldvary