>From: Bryan Caplan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: Airlines
>Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 15:06:00 -0400
>
>John A. Viator wrote:
> >
> > My (non-economist) take on this:
> >
> >   The federal government has an obligation to step in where the
> > assumptions of a free market fall short in practice.  I think a free
> > market model assumes that goods can be transported fairly easily.
>
>Not at all - transportation costs are just like any other cost.

I was just about to step in and say something to that effect, but then I
thought, "No, wait, Bryan Caplan's the guy who wrote 'Why I'm Not An
Austrian Economist'.  He'd probably pick a fight with me if I disagreed."
Fortunately, my guess was in error.

I think Mr. Viator actually has something here - isn't one of the
neo-classical assumptions about perfect competition (a prerequisite to a
free market) that there aren't any exploitable transportation bottlenecks
(e.g., a mother lode of natural resources that one and only one firm can
access)?  Or am I making a strawman here?

-JP