I remember to have both read and seen (on discovery channel) a couple of
studies that conclude that human females do in fact use this same strategy
as the birds (nesting with the reliable male, but mating with the high
quality). I believe this was labelled as a "superior mating strategy" - just
as the "superior male mating strategy" is to find the right mix of quality
(staying and raising his offspring) and quantity (mating with as many as
possible).

That this primal urge among women was still alive and kicking was allegedly
confirmed by a study (conducted on british discos, I believe) showing that
women are more prone to go out alone (with female friends - whithout
boyfriends / husbands) when they also have the biggest chance of getting
pregnant. That - compaired with the girls NOT "pregnant-prone" - these girls
were also more likely to be "dressed to kill". And - finally - that girls
where more likely to be unfaithful at this time of the month.

Also supporting this theory is a study (reported this summer in Danish
media) based on the growing number of instances where a father volunteers to
donate an organ to one of his own children. In 15 percent of these cases (in
Denmark) - if I remember right - the DNA test reveiled that the two were NOT
related (of course the fathers were not told this - only that there was no
match). Presumably these figures excluded fathers who already knew that they
were not the father of the child.

Although it is probably a somewhat small sample (I don't remember the size),
it is nevertheless pretty representative of the population at large, I would
say.

As I said, most of this is just what I remember off hand - can anyone
confirm???

Jacob Wimpffen Bræstrup
Esthersvej 22, 2tv.
DK-2900 Hellerup
DENMARK
Tel: (+45) 39 400 600 / 2020 3232
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Power threatens; wealth rewards: one eludes power by deceiving it; to
obtain the favours of wealth one must serve it: the latter is therefore
bound to win"
- Constant's speech given at the Athénée Royal, 1819