>Incidentally, Pobox rated Jason <debacker>'s response 6/10 on the spam
>scale, possibly because of the large number of words that often appear
>in spam: `email addresses', `customers', `spam', `retailers',
>`cheapest'

I took a look at the Pobox mail service and it seems very good for
helping to prevent spam.

>I don't know about you, but I rarely if ever get mail from any company
>otherwise known to me unless I've done something positive to get it.

I guess this depends on your tastes and your definition of spam.  If
spam is unsolicited email, then yes, I have recieved mail from companies
that I did not specifically request and that I do enjoy their products-
those companies are usually clear, however, in giving you the option to
be removed from the list.  I think AOL not only sells your screen name,
but sites you vist, as I have recieved emails from fishing tackle
companies who I have never before heard of.  And perhaps you and I have
different tastes than most people and therefore they enjoy those emails
you would rather not hear about- maybe the median internet consumer does
like these- some 80-85% of the business on the internet is from
pornography sites. Something I would not like to recieve an email from,
but obviously a large percentage of those making purchases on the net
might.

Jason