On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 03:49:15PM -0700, James Haney wrote:
> I like anarchocapitalism as much as the next guy, but this thread seems
> tendentious to me.  If private individuals or organizations have a right
> to sue you for murdering one of their relatives or life insurance
> customers or whatever, that makes murder _de facto_ against the law.

Hence, as usual, _de jure_ legislated laws are useless at best,
harmful always. _de facto_ constraints will do better, within the
respect of natural law principles.

The advantages ... [of not having patents] in the machine industry
generally, lie less in the free use of developments themselves, than
in the free scope for engineers in general.  With great complicated
machinery, individual, perhaps not very essential, parts can be
patented, thus preventing a complete and perhaps much more valuable
construction and forcing better engineers to an exacting study of all
such little patents.

    -- Bureau der Kaufmannischen Gesellschaft Zurich, 1886.