Fred Foldvary wrote:
>Real-estate taxes were not that difficult to collect, and rather efficient.

I won't argue that here, as it isn't central to this discussion.

> >  And as the technology of
> > surveillance improves, it should get easier to monitor this.
>
>The technology would need to keep ahead of tax-evading encrypted texts.

To evade taxes, you need to appear to be working when time audited,
but actually be in leisure or home production.  How do encrypted
texts help with this?

> > Perhaps in the future, the government will randomly check on each
> > person ten times a year, and see if they are working for wages
> > at that moment.
>
>And if you are working at home?  They will need a video camera.

It is up to you to convince them you were working, otherwise they'll
assuming you weren't.  It would then be in your interest to install
that video camera, if that is what it takes to convince them.

Robin Hanson  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://hanson.gmu.edu
Asst. Prof. Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323