At 04:59 PM 4/26/02 -0700, Wei Dai wrote:
>On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 05:15:33PM -0400, Robin Hanson wrote:
> > I apply the same logic to government.  If I believe, as I do, that people
> > often overestimate the value they get from government, I should fix that if
> > I can by persuasion.
>
>What if you can't fix it by persuasion and everyone becomes worse off
>because of your advice? Or what if you do manage to persuade everyone, and
>then they blame you for giving them what they thought they wanted?

Ex post, shit happens.  :-)

>BTW, how do you make interpersonal comparisons of expected (rather than
>actual) benefits and costs, when people do not have common priors or the
>same capacity for logical reasoning? What if some (crazy) person believes
>that having a smaller government is worth a quadrillion dollars? How would
>that balance out with the (slightly less crazy) people who believe that a
>bigger government is a net benefit?

When I'm inferring what it is that people think they want, I don't have to
believe everything they say.  I can also look at their actions.  I can't
see how anyone has a quadrillion dollar willingness to pay, as no one can
afford to pay that much.

Robin Hanson  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://hanson.gmu.edu
Asst. Prof. Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323