John Perich wrote:

"Why do you assume the cost of bathroom maintenance
isn't already included in the price charged?"

I hadn't thought about it.  I guess I had assumed,
perhaps incorrectly, that bathroom maintenance costs
would be idependent of the prices charged for goods at
the establishment.  Thus bathroom maintenance costs
would not bear on optimizing decisions, in much the
same way that lump-sum taxes are non-disortionary.

On reflection it has occured to me that prices may
affect bathroom maintenance costs: if Mc.D's charges
less for burgers and obtains more customers, then they
may have more bathroom use which may require more
bathroom cleaning, i.e. an increase in bathroom
maintenance costs.  If such were the case (it seems
reasonable), then maintenance costs would enter into
the profit max. problem and would therefore affect the
price, right?  That's not a rhetorical question; if
I'm wrong please tell me.

Well--I think that was what I was thinking anyway:
that bathroom use would be independent of the price.
Of course Michael Etchison may be right as well (if I
read him correctly), in that firms engage in hueristic
pricing and just toss bathroom maintenance into the
mix.  (If I read you wrong, Mr. Etchison, I apologize
for that.)  That possibility just never crossed my
mind.

-jsh

=====
"...for no one admits that he incurs an obligation to another merely because that
other has done him no wrong."
-Machiavelli, Discourses on Livy, Discourse 16.