Fred Foldvary wrote:
> > universities are maximizing something, but it's not clear what.
>
>Could it be that such universities seek to maximize prestige, or academic
>esteem? ....  Thus, the original seed of
>good and useful research grows into a tree where the fruit becomes an end in
>itself and is perpetuated by cultural memes which are themselves the end.

I hope you meant "original seed" metaphorically, rather than temporally.
It's not clear there ever was a time when things were different.

Robin Hanson  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://hanson.gmu.edu
Asst. Prof. Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323