The paper Mr. Tabarrok offered was very interesting
and of considerably different charactor than the piece
that drew my initial protest.  Particularly
interesting was the conclusion that the value of all
the parking spaces in the U.S. exceeds--by far!--the
value of all the cars in the U.S.  Holy cats!

Predictably, I was put off by the "frightened natives"
remark.  Perhaps a more culturally sensitive
alternative to "planners...behave like frightened
natives before a powerful totem" could be
"planners...behave like frightened Senators before an
'under god' clause."

-jsh