--- Michael Etchison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"CongressCritter does is to decide what to do not
about, say, farm subsidies generally, but about
SB1234, sponsored by Sen. This and Sen. That, which
goes through specific committees with specific
members..."

So the farm bill never went to the floor for a vote?
While it is possible that the general public would
approve of a bill that would cost the average family
$4,377 over the next decade in order to give increased
subsidies to a population whose average net worth is
$546,000 and who's net income was ALREADY 21% gov't
handouts--handouts which are causing massive problems
for some of the world's truly poor--it seems hard to
believe.  Certainly believeable, but hard to believe.
 This bill certainly must have went to the floor of
both houses, where it must have passed by a majority
of votes.  This seems a pretty good example of a real
world event.  Yes, it is certain that Senator Somesuch
gets bogged down in the specifics, and it is certainly
true that the act of governing is ALOT more
complicated than "outsiders" would like to believe,
but none of that changes the fact that an outrageous
bill was passed.

While I certainly do not wish to minimize the truth of
your remarks--they seem quite insightful to me--I am
nevertheless skeptical that an American public that is
less [insert your perjorative here] would be more
resistant to such legislation.

Best wishes,
jsh