The news release mentions that they played a prisoner's dilemma game and
that all of the subjects were women. It did not say exactly what the
payoffs were but they were awarded money.

The article also said:

"Mutual cooperation was the most common outcome in games played with
presumed human partners in both experiments, even though a player was
maximally rewarded for defecting when the other player cooperated."

When I play the prisoner's dilemma in class, I see very little cooperation.
 I do it with coins, face to face.  If they both play heads, they get 3
each.  1 if they both play tails.  If person A plays head while person B
plays tails, A gets 0 and B gets 5.  There are repeated trials and the
students simultaneously open their hands to see the other's coin. After
each trial they have to at least pretend that they might be changing their
choice.  Close hands, open again.

It is only played for extra credit, not money.  But I still see very little
cooperation (heads).  Over the years, I have not noticed that women are
especially more cooperative than men.  So it is very surprising to see the
above quote.

Maybe I am running the game wrong somehow and that is why I get little
cooperation.  If anyone has any suggestions, please email me.

Cyril Morong