--- Bryan D Caplan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"What exactly is 'rectifying a conception'?"

It sounds like the punchline to a very, very bad joke.
 Begging your forgiveness, what I am trying to ask,
poorly, is what is the "free market," how does it
differ from the competitive market as defined in
economic parlance, why do economists and economically
educated people speak of the free market rather than
the competitive market, and how is the free market
superior to the competitive market?

My inelegant phrase was intended to ask that one "put
right" the apparent discrepency between two
"concepts:" free vs. competitive markets.  It seems
that the spirit of the free market requires us to
cheer, "Bully for Enron!  Too bad it didn't work out!"
 Whereas, the spirit of the competitive market would
counsel us to enforce more rigorous accounting and
disclosure standards.  I suggest that we do a
disservice when in public we praise the former and
ignore the latter.

With that mess hopefully cleared up, I respectfully
re-submit my question.

Best to you and yours,
-jsh