William Dickens wrote:

> As I understand it, the cost of the medicare program turned out to be much greater
>than expected, but not because congress kept changing the legislation to add more
>goodies. Rather treatment became increasingly more expensive.

In an email discussion with me circa 1995, you mainly attributed the
low-ball estimate to wishful thinking (presumably mixed in with
deception?), not unforeseen technology shocks.

--
                        Prof. Bryan Caplan
       Department of Economics      George Mason University

        "He lives in deadly terror of agreeing;
         'Twould make him seem an ordinary being.
         Indeed, he's so in love with contradiction,
         He'll turn against his most profound conviction
         And with a furious eloquence deplore it,
         If only someone else is speaking for it."
                  Moliere, *The Misanthrope*