Interesting.  Your remarks on tunnelling dovetail nicely with an excellent
article by Sean Corrigan at LewRockwell.com:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/corrigan/corrigan13.html

Corrigan refers to privatization, as part of IMF-imposed   "structural
adjustments", as a carpet-bagger strategy for enabling international
financial classes to buy up taxpayer-funded assets for pennies on the
dollar.

This discussion reminds me of something I heard second-hand about the
Austrian economist and anarcho-capitalist Hans Hermann Hoppe.  I've yet to
read it myself, so take it for what it's worth.  Anyway, he argued that the
ex-Communist states were the one proper area for implementing syndicalist
control of industry, since the original ownership was hopelessly muddled or
moot, and the state industry thus qualified as "unowned property" in the
Lockean sense.  It was therefore quite logical to treat the workforce as
occupiers or homesteaders, and place it under their collective ownership.
Anyway, it sounds to me a lot better than turning the product of seventy
years stolen labor of the Russian people over to domestic and international
elites at fire sale prices, and then turning the country into a big
sweatshop.

On a related note, in the "Tranquil Statement" of the YAF's Radical
Libertarian Caucus, Karl Hess argued that radical student occupations of
even private universities wasn't a violation of any valid private property
right, because such nominally "private" institutions were almost entirely
dependant on the state's subsidies.  Therefore, they should be treated as
unowned, and "homesteaded" by students or faculty--in many ways a return to
the original medieval idea of the university.  I've also been told that
Rothbard, at one point, (in the late 60s, I think, at the height of his
affinity for the New Left) called for the expropriation of any corporation
that got more than half its profits from state capitalist intervention, and
its being placed under workers' control instead.  The agorist Samuel Edward
Konkin, another Austrian radical, speaks of a period of restitution in which
the property of statists will be seized to pay back what they consumed
through robbery of the producing classes.

For "privatization" in this country, there's a lot to be said for what Larry
Gambone calls "mutualizing" state property as an alternative both to
corporate capitalist privatization and to state ownership.  It entails
devolving social services, police, schools, etc., to the local level, and
then placing them under the direct democratic control of their
clientele--sort of like transforming them into consumer co-ops.  The
ultimate goal, of course, is to fund them on a user-fee basis and make
consumption voluntary.  It's quite a bit like what Proudhon called (in
*General Idea of the Revolution*) dissolving the state within the social
body.