When I read this I thought that it must be wrong, since it is well
known that a sphere maximizes volume/area.  However, if cars traveled
through tubes, this would be relevant.  Cars, though, travel on
planar roads so that a square cross section does maximize interior
space.  Longitudinal curviness, though, will give more space, which
may be one reason, besides aerodynamic considerations, that
windshields and rear windows aren't usually boxy.

All in all, I think boxiness has more to do with inexpensive
manufacturing techniques (extrusions) than anything else.

To the original point of compact cars being alike, my only thoughts
are that there is less money in the budget for style and less
incentive to take a risk on  unproven stylistic features.

--
John A. Viator, Ph.D.
Beckman Laser Institute