--- Robin Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"Why do charity races make sense?"

It allows the participants to demonstrate their
commitment to the cause when soliciting money.  When a
participant comes knocking at your door, he's not just
asking you to give money to prevent breast cancer,
let's say, but he's saying that he's so committed to
the cause that he's willing to run 10K, so surely a
few bucks isn't too much for you, is it?

Let me offer an alternative situation.  At the Univ.
of Oregon they have some sort of fair down the main on
campus street every year.  One year, a student group
built a flimsy cage in which one of their members
would sit to protest medical research on animals,
cosmetic research on animals, or zoos--the sign
changed constantly.  But it was never the same person
in the cage on my repeated passings.  Finally I asked
a woman in the cage why they were switching, and she
said with a slight Valley Girl inflection, "Well,
we're humans, and humans have schedules...."  At that
point I just walked off.  If the most they were each
willing to give for their cause was to sit in a "cage"
and gossip with their friends for a couple of hours,
then their cause surely couldn't be very important to
them.

Being willing to run 10K is the opposite, so to speak.
 If D.L. is willing to run until he pukes, then the
cause must be important to him and I'm more willing to
give a few minutes to hear his plea and possibly give
money.

So why not mow lawns for donations, you ask?  What's
the point of jogging?  You could at least provide a
service!  Two reasons: First is that, as psychologists
have discovered, when people are compensated for
something they tend to enjoy it less.  Therefore,
avoiding quid pro quos helps people feel better about
giving and are more likely to give in the future.
Second is that a race doesn't crowd out any industry.
If you mowed lawns for breast cancer, you'd be putting
lawn care professionals out of work and creating even
more charity cases.

Best regards,
jsh

=====
"...for no one admits that he incurs an obligation to another merely because that
other has done him no wrong."
-Machiavelli, Discourses on Livy, Discourse 16.