The article in the Post was sour grades. The reality is that GMU has been entrepreneurial in recognizing slightly out of sync economists and creating a spot for them and their programs.  Buchanan and Smith bucked the dominant intellectual trends of the profession to push forward their agendas.  Tullock has done the same, and when Boulding taught here it was the same thing.

The reality is that 90% to 99% of out of sync work is accurately dismissed, but 10% to 1% of this work amounts to revolutionary in science.  But in many ways we need the 90% of failed projects to get the 1 to 10% of truly innovative work.  Now this is a risky strategy for most departments to follow and most shy away from it or get tired of supporting it.

Note a few things about GMU's strategy --- in both cases (Buchanan and Smith) while they were recognized the movement they represented was for a long time discounted and they were not teaching at what one would term top tier universities before moving to GMU.  VPI was a good school, but certainly not Harvard or Chicago, and the same for Arizona. Both had left schools that were rising (U VA and Purdue) because of various factors relatively early in their careers.  So the idea conveyed in the Post article is that these figures worked for years at prestigous universities and then only in retirement did they come to GMU is wrong.

Now on how that translates into increased value of a GMU degree. Well obviously it increases the name recognition of the program, but the question will always remain as to whether if a student was so good why would they go to GMU to their PhD --- this is similar to what happened at NYU when I taught there --- which went from 17 to 7 during my 8 years there in terms of the rankings, but it was know as a school where the faculty were 'better' than the students such that basically 1 student each year would receive a top placement, but the others would not get jobs in academics.  I believe the situation has improved quite a lot there since I was there in terms of placement -- so the faculty addressed this issue by increasing the admission requirements, etc. But if we did that, we wouldn't attract students interested in the out of sync.  So right now, I'd say GMU does best when it caters to the out of sync and our students do best when they are the best out of sync economists on the market.

The reality is that GMU is a school that best serves the out of sync economist.  We are clearly the best out of sync department in the world.  Some of what goes on here is no doubt going to prove itself to have been a waste of intellectual resources, but other stuff will turn out to be absolutely cutting edge.  We don't know that ex ante -- only ex post.

What we should value in James Buchanan and Vernon Smith's prizes is not just that they got recognized for there genius, but the way they pursued their careers.  Here we have two brilliant men who fought against scientific prejudies and pursued their work and "forced" the mainstream of economic thought to pay attention.  In short they demonstrated not only the courage of their convictions, but the courage to withstand the critique of their convictions.

As for Vernon Smith -- one of the most amazing things about him is how open he is to new and unconventional ideas.  He is 75 and still trying to learn new things and incorporate them into his research program.  It is very exciting to see him probing and questioning.   As for Buchanan, we was willing (and still is) to ask big and deep questions about social philosophy in a discipline that rewards techniques and smarts and often reduces the worldly philosophy to exercises in mental gymnastics or social engineering.

A final point about the 'Austrian' implications of Buchanan and Smith. First, both are deeply knowledgable and respectful of 'Austrian' economics.  Second, both have made contributions which in many cases can be understood as 'Austrian' --- in Buchanan it was subjectivism and his understanding of catallactics, and in Smith's case it was his testing of Hayek's notion of the use of information and he demonstration of the groping market. Third, both have pushed Austrian economics in new directions which people can follow --- Buchanan into political economy and Smith into neuroscience.

The missing element in mainstream economics is still a theory of change and with that a focus on the agent of change -- entrepreneurship.  But the reality is that much of the progress in mainstream economics has been through the increasing recognition of points first pointed out by Mises and Hayek in the 1940s.  The ideas are being incorporated if not recognition for the individuals who first developed the ideas.  This is progress.  And GMU is at the forefront of that progress and I would think that its graduates (such as JC Bradbury) would want to wear that label proudly and push those ideas more and more.  I think GMU stands for a few things (a) economics with attitude, and (b) economics that is relevant.  As my high school basketball coach used to tell us all the time with regard to our approach to the game --- don't let the bastards breath. That is what I think our graduates should be doing with regard to the profession.  Go to the meetings, get on panels, makes sensible comments, write good papers and send them to the best journals, and write books which people want to read. Keep the pressure up to promote an economics with attitude and an economics that is relevant.  If you can explain the world better than your contemporaries, the jobs will come. That is how you increase YOUR value.  Hopefully, your education at GMU prepared you to do that.

Pete

Dr. Peter J. Boettke, Deputy Director
James M. Buchanan Center for Political Economy
Department of Economics, MSN 3G4
George Mason University
4400 University Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030-4444