My original statement was not about about time to publication, but "turn
around" time - ie, the time it takes to return a manuscript to author
with referee comments. I opined that "turn around" time for well staffed
journals was in the 3-6 month range for the faster social sciences, but
much longer for other fields.

As another poster noted, if you assume that accepted papers need at least
1 revision, you should multiply that by 3 and then you get the numbers
cited in an earlier post - minimum 18 months. This was my estimate for the
top journals, which get money for staff. Smaller journals have less money,
which translates into a tired editor with grad student assistant,
resulting in longer turn around times.

Your experience of 14 months for a psych journal is in fact normal, and
much better than fields like history, math or literary studies. Perhaps
the absolute fastest is experimental physics, where claims of first
discovery matter, and stuff is rushed to print in a month or two. Once you
work in journal publishing, you soon realize how friggin' hard it is to
get stuff reviewed and then 14 months to publication (or even two
years) starts to seem reasonable.

Fabio