What prevents a particular private law enforcement
agency from engaging in mob-style "protection"?  For
example, in Friedman's "Anarchy and Efficient Law", he
states that, "The most obvious and least likely is
direct violence-a mini-war between my agency,
attempting to arrest the burglar, and his agency
attempting to defend him from arrest. A somewhat more
plausible scenario is negotiation. Since warfare is
expensive, agencies might include in the contracts
they offer their customers a provision under which
they are not obliged to defend customers against
legitimate punishment for their actual crimes."
(http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Academic/Anarchy_and_Eff_Law/Anarchy_and_Eff_Law.html)
 First, if war were so expensive relative to peace why
does it exist?  Maybe peace is more expensive, in
terms of risk for example, than open warfare.  Second,
I might say that going to war isn't expensive, going
to war against ME is expensive, because I'm going to
recruit the demons who walk the earth.  I won't put
Charles Manson in jail, I'll put him on the payroll.

This is an honest question, one that has been vexing me.