A quick check of Nation, State, and Economy (first published in 1919)
shows 5 uses of the term "statism": see http://www.mises.org/nsande.asp
and search on "statism"

Mises's use of the term fits the first definition, "Extreme development
of the power of the State over the individual citizen."

So, Mises certainly beat the 1923 reference. The rub is, this book was
published in German, not English, which I think is required for
inclusion in the OED.

I must correct my earlier claim that "The english term "statist" derives
from Mises's use of the words 'étatist/ism' and 'statist/ism'". Within
modern literature, I have only seen the term in the works of Mises or
those who have read him, and I reasonably deduce that authors such as
Hayek and Rothbard adopted the term from Mises, as opposed to, for
instance, Blount Horĉ Subsec (the 1620 ref), Echo 2 Jan (the 1880 ref),
or even Sociol. Rev. XI (the 1919 ref).

Its not that the term was invented by Mises: I'm sure he adopted it from
elsewhere. What I mean to claim is that its propagation in 20th century
classical liberal works seems to be largely due to *his* frequent use of
the term.

Do you know of another writer who used the term so frequently?

Gil Guillory, P.E.
Process Design and Project Engineering
KBR, KT-3131B
email [EMAIL PROTECTED]
phone 713-753-2724(w) or 281-362-8061(h) or 281-620-6995(m)
fax 713-753-3508 or 713-753-5353