To Tom Grey (and others)

2 points:

1: why not retain land tax as a local tax, as this would ensure tax-
payers the possibility of voting with ther feet, end thus ensure some
degree of fiscal competition between neigbouring counties /
municipalities?

2: I believe Austrain Economic Theory does noit regard inflation as a
neutral tax, as one of it's main beliefs is that the earlier you get
your hands on new money, the more you benefit - and vice-versa. I don't
know whether this holds true for constant (that is: expected) inflation
as you are descibing as well - anyone?

Jacob Braestrup
Danish Taxpayers Association

> Dan,
> even more than direct/indirect, you need to specify what is "neutral".
> Given democracy, one (adult) person, one vote, a strong case can be
made
> for a "neutral" poll tax.
> Of course it is not "progressive" like most income taxes.  Flat rate
> taxes, sales/VAT taxes, even land taxes, affect some more than others.
>
> My own preferences are more towards a flat(er) tax, with a large
(poverty
> level) deduction, and rates tending down (to zero?); a land tax,
split
> between local, state, and federal (1/3 each? 50-25-25?); and ever
increasing
> taxes on pollution.  I am constantly annoyed at the greens wanting
huge
> regulation but unwilling to support higher pollution taxes.
> Um, to get rid of the last 5% of income taxes, I'd even support
deficit spending
> printing money (inflation, another fairly "neutral" tax,
> of about 2-3% per year).
>
> But of the course the MAIN problem is on the benfit side -- so many
voters
> want, claim, demand, and only-vote-for those politicos who offer their
> favorite benefits.  The demand for benefits drives the demand for tax
> revenue.
>
> And the coming (2020) Social Security baby boomer elephant-sized
funding gap
> is gonna be a HUGE increase in benefit demand.
> Europe is even more vulnerable than the US or the UK.
> Sigh.  "What is to be done?"  (someone said that... I know, what's is
name
> the commie!)
>
> Tom Grey
>

> > But this assumes that taxes can be neutral.  I would tend to
> > agree with
> > Larry Sechrest here -- viz., there are no neutral taxes.
(Sechrest's
> > position is laid out in his "Rand, Anarchy, and Taxes" in _The
Journal

--
NeoMail - Webmail