--- William Dickens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"He represented himself as someone who had taken
courses from himself and presented testimonials about
his character from that persona. That isn't lying?"

Not about the issues involved.  The debate is about
violent crime, not Lott.  Frankly, given that he was
writing under a pen name, I think it is funny that
he'd make up a goofy little story about himself.  It
did have him saying to take listen to other economists
and get difference views after all.

If under his nom de plume, or however it's spelled, he
fairly represented the facts and arguments of the
gun-control debate, then he's committed no
transgression--other than having a little fun.

Probably the only reason he shouldn't have done it is
that the state of logical reasoning in our society is
so poor that ad hominems have considerable weight with
alot of people.  He has probably given fodder to those
whose rhetorical style is a little, for lack of a
better phrase, ad captandum vulgus.

"More to the point. Allowing a family member to submit
a review of a book under a false name is a pretty
serious breach of academic integrity."

To amazon.com?  I don't know about that.  The forum
operates under effective anonymity, with no
references, virtually no standards, and little (if
any) editorial review.  His kid writes a review and
submits it to amazon.com under his pen name?  I don't
see the harm.

I respect your view on this, but I strongly disagree
with it.  I see no reason to judge Lott poorly as a
result of this.