Why does TV have seasons? I know it's customary to propose possible
answers to questions posted here, but I'm really stumped. I can't think of
any reason why television networks all premier their new shows in the
fall and play re-runs in the summer, instead of spreading out the premiers
and re-runs more evenly throughout the year, or having seasons that aren't
synchronized with each other. Why doesn't the fact that the competition is
a lot weaker in the summer attract more premiers?

And here's another TV related question. The LA Times has an article today
on the recent FCC vote. It says that the broadcast spectrum currently used
for television may be worth as much as $400 billion in an auction. How are
the 15% of households who still watch TV over the air able to prevent this
spectrum from being sold for another use?