In a message dated 6/18/03 2:03:39 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>But does not the practice of the subordination of the individual to the
>collective go back to ancient times, indeed to pre-historical tribal
>practice and belief?
>Fred Foldvar

in the ancient world we clearly have a good deal of subordination of the
individual to the strongest individual or to the priest-king (the strongest
individual?) but I'm not so clear about subordination of the individual to the
collective.  It became an article of faith in the 19th-century that pre-historic
humans practiced primitive communism, but I'm not sure there's much evidence to
support that faith.  We do know that when Americans came to some of the
pacific islands that theory said should be practicing primitive communism that they
actually had a complex system of private property, and that Americans imposed
primitive communism on them to force them into the "right stage of history."

David