One of the recurring suggestions that comes up in the downward spiral of
Canadian medicare is that patients receive an itemized bill for service,
showing exactly how much each thing cost.  They wouldn't have to pay the
bill, since it's all covered by the government, but the intuition behind
the proposal is similar -- people might be more frugal if they know what
things cost (even if they don't have to pay a dime directly).  As far as I
know, that proposal hasn't gone anywhere yet though.

Eric