oops sorry Ramanand........thought it was done by vithur........great work
buddy.....hats off.......hearty thanks for the effort

regards
ganesh

Vithur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:                               wow... what an
effort. HATS OFF TO YOU GURU

On 1/13/08, J Ramanand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:      Hi,

this is an attempt to translate "jashn-e-bahaaraa.N", as someone had
requested. I just got a Urdu dictionary and so what better way to
break it in! :-) However, be warned that this is by no means a
"poetic" translation - I am not qualified to do that. What I have done
instead, is to provide a mainly literal translation,
sentence-by-sentence, with special mentions of some of the more
unusual words. To peel back the metaphors and to "feel" the song is
for you to do, and that is the real fun in reading poetry, right?

I am sure I have made a few errors, so would be grateful to anyone who
can point them out or offer an alternative view on some of the
translations.

I have attempted to transcribe the lyrics in ITrans, which may be a
little difficult for people not used to the scheme. If you can
disregard the ".N" and ".n" marks, you'll be fine. See [4] for
details.

=== Jashn-e-bahaaraa.N (A.R.Rahman, Javed Akhtar, Javed Ali) ===

kahane ko jashn-e-bahaaraa.N hai
("ostensibly, the season is spring"; j-e-b: the season of flowers, spring)

ishq yeh dekh ke  hairaa.N hai
("love is surprised to see that...")

phool se khushabuu khafaa khafaa hai gulshan me.n
("(...that) in the garden, the fragrance is angry/upset with the flower")

chupaa hai koi  ra.nj fizaa ki chilman me.n
("in the curtains/blinds (chilman) of the breeze/wind (fizaa) hides
some grief (ra.nj)")

saare sahame nazaare hai.n [1]
("all the sights and sounds are cowering/are quiet/are scared" -
sahamnaa: to be afraid)

soye soye waqt ke dhaare hai.n
("the streams of time are quiet/asleep"; dhaare: streams)

aur dil me.n koi khoi si baate.n hai.n
("and there are some thoughts lost in the heart")

kehne ko ...
--
kaise kahe, kyaa hai sitam; sochte hai.n ab yeh hum
("how do I talk about that which troubles me; I think about...";

koi kaise kahe woh hai yaa  nahii.n hamaare
("(think about) ...how does one ask if she is indeed mine or not")

karte to hai saath safar, faasle hai phir bhi magar
("we are (alternative: travel/live) together, but a distance exists
(between us)" faasle: distance)

jaise milte nahii.n kisi dariyaa ke do kinaare
("like two banks of a river which do not meet")

paas hai phir bhi paas nahii.n, hum ko yeh Gam raas nahii.n
("she/we are apart despite being together; one cannot bear this sorrow
any more"; Gam: sorrow)

shishe ki ek diiwar hai jaise darmiyaa.N
("there is, as it were, a wall of glass between us")

saare sahame nazaare hai...
--
humne jo thaa naGamaa sunaa
("the sweet melody that one had heard")

dil ne thaa usko chunaa
("the heart had chosen that (song)")

yeh daastaa.n  hame.n waqt ne kaisi sunaai
("what is this story that time (life) has narrated to me/us")

hum jo agar hai Gamagii.n, woh bhi udhar khush to nahi
("if I am stricken with grief, she too isn't happy there";  Gamagii.n: sad)

mulaakato.n me.n hai jaise ghul si gayii tanhaayii
(it is as if the meetings/encounters are blended with loneliness")

mil ke bhi hum milte nahii.n; khil ke bhi gul khilte nahi.n
("we do not meet despite meeting; the flower does not bloom despite blooming")

aa.Nkho.n mai.n hai bahaare.n dil mai khizaa.N
("the eyes can see flowers (of spring), but there is an autumn in the
heart"[2]; "khizaa.N": fall, autumn)

saare sahame nazaare hai...

===

Notes:
[1] I wasn't very sure if the word used was "sahame" or "sahan". The
latter would translate into "courtyard" which would make syntactic
sense but probably wouldn't tie in with the flow of the song, so I
went for "sahame", which is what most people seem to think it is.
[2] This is a nice touch - contrasting the seasons outside and inside.
[3] The main interpretation of this song would be this couple who,
despite being betrothed/married, have not been able to emotionally
"bond" (ghastly modern word that which I couldn't find a substitute
for). Has a nice amount of 'longing' mixed with the slightly upbeat
(to me) melody/arrangements, which reminds me of "Tere Bina" from
"Guru".
[4]  http://www.aczoom.com/itrans/TRANS.TXT

===

BTW, I'd seen people discussing whether the Rabab was the string
instrument in this song. Seeing there is a credit (to Seenu) for the
Oud, could this be the Oud? (disclosure: I don't know how the Oud
sounds, but have heard that it is similar to the Rabab)

Cheers,
Ramanand

Webpage:  http://www.it.iitb.ac.in/~ramanand
Weblogs:
Personal: http://quatrainman.blogspot.com
Interrobang (the quiz blog):  http://notesandstones.blogspot.com

regards,
Vithur

A.R.RAHMAN -  THE ABODE OF DIVINE MUSIC

 Forgot the famous last words? Access your message archive online. Click here.